All parents (and even grandparents) are considered members of the Parent Teacher Organization.
Participating in our Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) — by volunteering on committees and/or attending PTO-sponsored events — is a great way to strengthen and reinforce the bond between parents, teachers, and the school.
Guided by PTO President, Melanie Gruenwald, we organize a variety of parent-focused, student-focused, and family-focused events throughout the school year.
- Back-to-School coffees after major breaks
- Ice Cream Fridays
- Sukkah Hop
- Parents’ Night Out events
- Crazy Hair & Mixed-Up Backawrds Day during the month of Adar
- Purim Baskets for every student and staff member
- Lag b’Omer picnic and Art Extravaganza
- White shirt Fridays to welcome Shabbat
PTO meets four times each school year (and refreshments are served). The next PTO meeting will be held Thursday Nov. 19 at 7:30pm (yes, an evening meeting) at the home of Mindy Greenwald and Adam Newman. Join us!
Building community with fun
During the 2013-14 school year, PTO:
- contributed $5000 to the school's operating budget
- gave every employee a holiday gift
- purchased equipment to meet school needs
- fulfilled teacher wish list items and used Scholastic credits for classroom books
- provided snack baskets for teachers on conference days
- sponsored teacher appreciation week and a teacher appreciation breakfast
- partially funded volunteer appreciation gifts
- provided graduation gifts to the Class of 2014
PTO fundraising supports the PTO programs describe here. The school's Development campaigns are separate, and fund the Denver JDS operating budget. Our three biggest PTO fundraising endeavors are Scholastic book fairs (typically held before winter break and again in the spring), Faculty/Staff gifts (in December and May), and Purim Baskets (Mishloach Manot).
Each grade has group of room parents who serve as liaisons between each grade's teachers and parents and help keep everyone abreast of important school events and initiatives. Most room parent communication comes by email.
Lands' End Apparel
Purchasing Lands' End apparel with our school logo is a great way to show school pride. Even better, a portion of the proceeds come back to our school.
Customized sticky labels that can be applied to clothing, notebook, water bottles and more are a Lower Division fundraising favorite.